Tuesday, December 25, 2012

BAH HUMBUG

The children were nestled
All snug in their beds
While visions of sugarplums
Danced in their heads...

NOT AT MY HOUSE!

Big John and I got home Sunday evening from a quick, but wonderful, trip to visit family in the Big D. While I was out doing chores, Big John started some laundry ... and discovered my washing machine was leaking ... and had been for quite some time. So instead of visions of sugarplums dancing in my head, I was coming to grips with having to buy a new washing machine (and matching dryer), taking up the molded and mildewed subfloor, and forging ahead with a quick and total remodel of the laundry room. This little chore was NOT in the Christmas budget, nor on the Christmas vacation to-do list. Bah humbug.

We found a nice set on sale at Lowe's and hauled it home - along with lumber for the quail pen redo that was originally scheduled for this week.


(Yes, I know they are sideways. Just ignore that fact.)

We managed to get the old machines out, the wet, moldy subfloor removed, and most of the shelving out on Christmas Eve. I kept wishing Santa and his elves would show up the finish the job, but he must have run out of time during the night!

Here's how the demolished laundry room looked bright and early this Christmas morning:


Apparently, the previous remodel was done during my "orange phase."


10 hours later, here's where we stand:



New subfloor put in, walls recovered in beadboard, and first step of paint treatment completed. We'll hit it again bright and early tomorrow morning. Maybe I can wash clothes by Thursday! Woo Hoo - never thought I'd be this excited to do laundry!





No comments:

Post a Comment